Monday, January 17, 2011

wintery mix in Kona

Wintery mix? OK, not sleet and blowing snow. But it is cloudy and cool this morning. Sweatpants weather around the house. And my parents left last night after their weeklong stay! It made me a little melancholy this morning. We had a full week of good big island adventures. It was nice to spend time with them, nice to hear impressions of the big island from commentators I know so well, nice to experience again all the peculiarities that make my folks so great-- good things, like my dad sitting at the kitchen table mounting centipedes and cockroaches onto cardboard with dress pins to satisfy his recent interest in insects... or my mom's masterful deployment of a couple pidgin phrases after only a few days on the island...
It was a good week. I'll post some pictures soon. Now, though, I've got some laundry and other cleanup to do. In the meantime, have a look at this great graphical wave height forecaster. I'm going to be leading some kayaking and snorkeling trips here, as means of making the big bucks, and my new boss sent me the link.



We've got some big waves coming in later this week! High surf is not so good for a novice surfer or kayakers. It does make for a mesmerizing shoreline and good wave sounds at our house. Also, good surfer watching. My folks and I had a great time at Kiholo Bay yesterday, spent in large part watching surfers. The bay must be just the right depth to make these big waves break, because the surf was abundant and gentle looking for such (locally) uncommonly large waves. The shore was packed, but there was so much surf, I think all of kona could have been out in the water with room to spare.
Google "Kiholo Bay" to see just another boring old hawaii blue lagoon with palm trees, black sand, lava cliffs and mansions...
I'll put some photos up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment