Sunday, February 6, 2011

Primary Occupation

Howdy Howdy,
So it's been a while.  I plead the fifth.  It has been a little busy around here, though, and there is certainly a lot to update you about.  I am the proud holder of not one, but two new jobs.



Typical scene near the snorkel spot.
Primary occupation:  Kayak guide in Kealakekua Bay.   Beth and I kayaked here once before I got the job, and I made a rather unimpressive post here (though if you look at the page, you can link to a sic pic of me and Beth chillin in the bay with some brahs).  Since then, I've gotten a wetsuit, and Pu'uhonua O Honaunau is one of my favorite places on the Big Island. A post on that later, I promise.
Drama! Deceit! Intrigue!
Kealakekua Bay is a beautiful spot with a lot of cool history, one of the best dive/snorkel spots on the Big Island, and even some intersting geology.  I get to lead small groups of guests on a kayak trip across the bay, talk with them about the bay's history, then go snorkeling.  We pack awesome (and generous) lunches, which we ravage after snorkeling.  The lunches are from the store at the Kona Pacific Farmer's Cooperative, a local coffee roaster serving small Kona farmers. http://www.kpfc.com/index.html
Your trusty guide, proudly sporting his freshly-shined Minnesota hide.
My boss helped to write a very informative pamphlet about the bay.  Click on the text to download a PDF.  I've memorized this, and I pretty much just recite it to the guests (no, not really).  But it is a good pamphlet.  To get me to tell you the whole story you have to pay my boss, Betsy Morrigan at Hawaii Pack and Paddle.  She's great.  Very personable and knowledgeable, and even lent me a bunch of books, for as to get me more learned.
So far, this has been a great job.  The only problem is that it is only about one or two days a week.  So that don't fly, though I've somehow convinced Beth that this is an acceptable amount of income.  Thank you Cellana.  Betsy thinks that we can get business to pick up, and she is working on getting guest referrals from Backroads Bicycle Tours and The Four Seasons Hualalai. Needless to say, that would keep me busy (and probably well tipped).  Tell me if I'm revealing more than is appropriate here.  Bottom line: this is a good job, and I would love to have more trips.
Beth is joining me on a trip this coming Tuesday, and I will get her to photo-document so that I can make a better post about the bay.
This job also promises longer Widji-esque trips with school kids this summer.  That is exciting.  This is proving to be a great way to learn more about the island.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that the trips come through and you get to be an expert snorkeler. Maybe you already are? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete