Monday, November 15, 2010

homework.

So, today I spent 8 hours working on our apartment, getting it ready to move in.  Mostly trying to clean up the floors.  They are nice oak hardwood floors, they are just really dirty.  We knew this coming in, kind of, we just didn't realize how dirty they actually were.  After spending the morning trying out different cleaners, I got a hold of the landlords... and they were very friendly and helpful. To think I had spent the morning cursing them.  I can say these things because I don't think they have found this blog...yet.  This post may be short lived, so if you want the dirt on my cleaning (and I'm sure you all do), better lap it up while you can.
 
Orange citrus degreaser.  That was the key.  I would have never thought to put that on the wood floor, but it worked wonders getting what appeared to be years of sticky grime off the floor.  I'm realizing this post is going to make me look like I'm renting a dump from a slumlord.  I only hope that's not the case. So far, I don't think it is. I get a good sense from the landlords.  I just wish they hadn't thought that it was a good idea to rub olive oil onto the floor to "moisturize" it.  At least they told me, and gave me keys to the degreaser!

Here are the good things:  2 bedrooms and an office, it's a freestanding house, it's got a lot of storage underneath, it's got a great breeze, it's got a corner full of windows with views out to the ocean and along the coast, it's got fruit trees: avocados, guava, limes, lemons, and lots of other cool stuff in the yard. And we (Beth) can afford it!  It's just being a pain in the butt to furnish! We still need a bed.  We do have a dining room table, and a few other random things, so once we get the bed worked out, I think that we will be able to piece the other stuff together. 


I'll post some pictures of the house and yard soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment